Star Trek - J.J. Abrams


Star Trek is a highly enjoyable film! I loved the effects, the relationships and history of the characters. Great work with casting young versions of the original gang. The effects were stunning. Loved the creatures, ships, fighting sequences -- the film was really exciting!

If I was to critique it, I would say that it really does not follow the Star Trek canon. Overall, it feels more like a fan film than anything else. What we see is not a prequel. What we actually see is an alternative reality to what we know of Trek history. Therefore, the filmmakers can get away with the film not following the canon.

Time Travel and Alternative Realities allow authors to explain away anything. They are cop-outs. They are devices that provide a simple solution to a complex problem. So I would criticize the film for that -- HOWEVER, I love those kind of things, and I thought the fact that they were used didn't take me out of the story.

3 out 5 Netflix, 8 on a 10-scale.

Comments

erichann said…
I thought his name was J. Jabrams!

Popular posts from this blog

Hume Lake - Day 22: Snow!

A Clockwork Orange - Stanley Kubrick